Monday, 6 July 2015

Home of the Shamrock

by Hello from Northern Ireland :) I'm here for the next few days for my Auntie's wedding on Saturday, so I think I'm going to write this as a diary sort of post that just says what I've been up to, maybe some pictures and stuff.

Thursday 11th June
I've decided I can't allow mum to book flights anymore. I was up at 3:30 this morning for a seven o'clock flight. I'm dressed in new clothes, though, which is nice.

Little OOTD, the embroidered top and the white vest beneath it are Primark, the jeans are old favourites from Denim Co., the shoes are Primark too, and my hair's in twists.

We were at Newcastle airport by five, which meant I got to watch the sunrise out the car window, not exactly something you do everyday. For once, we got through security with no problem. I spent the wacky races of security trying to find the stag in what must have been a 30-40 strong stag party headed for Magaluf (it was printed on their t-shirts). Then through all the shops, which have had a change around since the last time I was in Newcastle airport. We had a stop in Boots, mum picked up some lipsticks, and I got some cotton pads, seeing as I realised I hadn't packed any.

Note, if you're wondering about the green lipstick, it basically reacts to the pH level of your lips so it gives a darker colour to your lips, so I suggest you try it.
We got some breakfast after that (I had an omelette) before finding out our flight was on its last call, half an hour early. Getting past our gate, we were told we had to stow our handbags into our luggage, which on small flights is only hand baggage; I don't see the point in putting our handbags away, it makes no sense, but I digress.
By the looks of it, we were the last set to board, we got into our seats, listened to the safety instructions and set off for a 35 minute flight. I tried playing Candy Crush for a couple of minutes before I decided I needed a nap. So, I slept the flight away. We arrived at around 20 to 8 in the morning, to my grim realisation that I was in Ireland before any of my friends were even in school. After getting our rental car (a Mercedes C class, go big or go home) we drove to my auntie's house in Portrush. The car is buttons everywhere, so it took us a while to figure it all out, but we got there in the end.
I ended up in a dress fitting. I got told off for saying I hadn't put on weight - sorry for not immediately looking for a change in my body, I think it's fine. It apparently needs to be let out at the hips, and brought in around my chest (first time I've heard that one). Otherwise, it's lovely material, fits my body so well, I think I'm going to love wearing it.
I've honestly been shattered all day; we went for a ride out at half 11 to get out of my auntie's hair, which I didn't get to see, because I fell asleep. We found ourselves a nice cafe, chicken cheese and sweet corn panini, could probably rival Subway. Then we found our way back to my auntie's, I fell asleep again.
We made our way to our house after that. The rest of the Patchett clan is staying in one house, and oh my god, I am in love. If I ever organise a holiday for me and my friends on a budget, we're renting this in a heart beat.

So we settled ourselves in, and mum has made herself at home by getting 40 winks whilst I sit and write, while watching Top Gear, because why not?
I spent a while chatting with Maya about clothes and craic from school before me and mum decided to test out the pool. Yes, there is a pool!
We must have spent a good few hours in there, and it was heaven, honestly. For something less than four feet deep, it was brilliant.
When we eventually emerged, we made ourselves some tea (sausage and egg sandwiches)
After that, me and mum spent a few minutes 'being healthy, making ourselves some strawberries, cherries and pineapple before sitting down in front of an episode of Ripper Street.
After that finished, it was 20 past 11 so we stuck ourselves in bed.

Friday 12th June
Quarter past eight my body decided I needed to be up. I ended up sat in front of the telly with the first half hour of the Incredible Hulk before mum got up and made breakfast (toast and leftover fruit). We ended up dashing around sorting ourselves out because we had to be with my auntie for another dress fitting.
We met the other 'green' bridesmaid; there's two older bridesmaids in red, and the teenagers (me and C) are in green. She's nice, her actions speak louder than her words.
So, another fitting, it fit better today after being let out at the hips, but needs to be brought up at the shoulders and hemmed now.

We were then roped in to decorate baskets we'd be using to hand out wedding favours; the women are getting sea shells my other auntie crafted, and the men are getting RNIB and RNLI lapel badges, which I may be nicking one each of for my school blazer.
After some cake and mum finished her tea, we made our excuses and came back to our cottage to meet my cousin and his parents who were arriving. It's nice to have somebody else my age around, even if J is a select talker.
We went to the same cafe for lunch, I had the same panini, then we had to make our way over to the venue to help set it up. We made displays with candles, fixed the sweet trees that were falling apart then became spare parts for 20 minutes.
After that, we headed back to our cottage, where I've nicked off with my mum's kindle to make blogging easier, because writing from my phone does get hard for long posts like this.
My dad and my sister's family arrived around quarter past seven, where we spent forever umming and aaaing over food. Eventually, when auntie B returned, my cousin, my nephew and I ended up with pizza whilst every body else ordered an Indian. My nephew was sharing with me in my room, so I had to sort him out, but after the whole bathroom routine, I read a couple of chapters of Girl Online, which I just started.

Saturday 13th June
I set an alarm. On a Saturday. For half seven. I had to tell my nephew to go back to sleep because he didn't need to be up just yet. I ended up taking myself into the kitchen, boiling the kettle and making myself some berry tea whilst I sat and added another coat to my nails. Mum got up after a while, we made toast for me and A, who decided he'd slept enough for one morning. A load of fruit and a shower later, I threw myself into a playsuit for easiness with that same crochet top and a pair of slippers that my mum bought that read 'bridesmaid'.
We got ourselves to my auntie's for the whole makeup and hair affair. Makeup was done first, soft smoky eye with the works on the face (though subtle works). I even have foundation on the back of my neck.

Onto hair, it's an updo with curls. My first reaction when literally anyone tries to style my hair is good luck. It's so thick and heavy, curls only last if they're done with plaits or hairspray that'll hold a car in place.
I was sat taking pictures to send to Maya, which then apparently turned out to be Jake, but you can see them too.
Auntie J gave me and the other bridesmaid a gold purse each with a necklace and earring set inside.
The dresses were honestly gorgeous; I'm not one for something that fits well, but it was figure hugging and just felt so nice and I felt gorgeous in it.

Eventually, my mum came and picked me and the other bridesmaid up to take us to Mussenden Temple, where the ceremony would be. If you're ever in Ireland, please visit the Mussenden Temple, it is absolutely gorgeous.

The ceremony itself lasted over an hour, with readings, and some beautiful singing and my aunt and her husband being really far too cute for words.
At the reception, I got kind of bored, which shouldn't be allowed, as I do some weird things when bored.
Like taking the diamante decorations from the table and sticking them in your champagne glasses for example. I also ate a lot of sweets from the aforementioned sweet trees, which became a hat when none of us could be bothered with the 6 or so left.

The food was from a company with South African connections, with canapes, starters, pork, more pork, and cheesecakes!
Unfortunately, I'm not much of a dancer, I can bounce to a beat, and that's pretty much it! I got up for a couple of songs, even tried to drag my cousins up (*scoffs* teeangers!) but I ended up just playing Lego Star Wars on my nephew's iPad :)
The party didn't actually wind down until about 11, with only an hour before a bus arrived for everybody. It actually arrived half an hour early. By this point, I'd removed everything from my hair; I later counted the pins and came to 36, completely shattering my record of 15!
When we got back to the house, I stripped the dress as soon as I could, nice as it was, it was midnight, I wanted out! Although I originally wanted to head straight to bed, I succumbed to the pull of the pool, where my mum and dad and cousin's family had made themselves comfy. This pool arty ended up being the birthplace of 'The Boy with Two Rings' and the 'Not-Wedding'. It was brilliant we didn't get out until 20 to 2 or something!

Sunday 14th June
Sunday morning became a lazy morning. I may have been awake at quarter past ten, but I was on my phone watching youtube and reading on dA until lunchtime. Breakfast was the fry-up works, complete with scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, and pain-au-chocolat and croissants (you know the pre-made ones that you just have to roll out of a tin, they're gorgeous!)
When we sat down for breakfast, we caught my sister and her partner up on what had happened in the pool after they'd gone to bed. I actually took a drink whilst we were explaining the Boy with Two Rings, and it went down the wrong way. My cousin nearly killed me, and he was still in bed. 
We had to go back to the wedding venue to pick up my auntie's car, so we headed that way.

Afterwards, we made our way to the beach in Castlerock. I decided to try and be artsy and get picture of the sea and the sand, utterly failed, but it was nice to just stand in the water. I helped my nephew make some sand-water, then got forced to send it back to the ocean (if you have the gall to deny a four year old, I salute you). Of course, we had to get ice cream, twin cone with a flake and monkey's blood - red sauce if you're not northern - it's really strange that 99's are now something like £2 now, it's sad.

It was whilst we were enjoying our ice creams that we watched a car dig itself into the sand. After watching and laughing for ages, my uncle, dad, and kind-of-brother-in-law went over to help out.The ones left behind decided it looked like an episode of Top Gear; we decided my uncle was kind of grumpy, so he was Clarkson, my dad has a sense of humour about him, so he was Hammond, which left my sort-of-brother-in-law as May. Once unstuck, the guy in the car turned around and left the beach, with us only a little bit behind.
We made our way to my auntie's house for an open house. I ended up sat playing with lego with A. Afterwards, we went to the Giant's Causeway, so we could say we had done some sightseeing. We didn't actually walk down to the causeway, but we were close enough.
We found ourselves a chip shop called Mortons, which have massive fish and onion rings (I literally only ate 2, I think!). Once home, we again spent the night in the pool. My sister dunked me a few times (brought it on myself), it was fun, I was exhausted, we broke the pool light.

Monday 15th June
Everything needed packing, and I mean everything; I'd go into the bathroom and return with even more stuff to pack. Once the owner of the house arrived, we all split, my dad and sister's family heading to the dock, my cousin's family going to Londonderry for his History, and me and mum off to pick up my Aunt to go to the plane. It took us until we returned for us to realise that we had left my bridesmaid's bouquet on the windowsill. So, we picked up my aunt and returned to the house to pick up the flowers.
Not much happened at the airport, we sat down and ate lunch (carrot and coriander soup), picked my dad up some M&Ms from the duty free (a cashier complimented the bouquet, which I was having to carry around so it wouldn't get crushed) then boarded the plane. Plane's not that interesting, I read, played games, seeing as it was only 40 minutes. And that's kind of it really, I was home.

So, this has taken me over a week to write. I honestly started on the Thursday (so you may notice if it changes tenses), and it's now Monday 22nd. I now have the task, after finishing, of uploading all of the photos from my phone and camera to this post.
There may be a Writing Wednesday, then again there may not, as I'm heading to a Summer Festival retreat on Wednesday afternoon; most people in my school call it God Camp (I think we christened it that, and it stuck, seeing as even the people there were calling it God Camp last year).
So, yeah :)
Love, Eve <3
PS. After adding all the pictures, it is now the 28th! Oh god!
P.P.S. Then 

No comments:

Post a Comment