Wednesday 19 August 2015

Writing Wednesday #18 ~ Railroad

It was the railroad, he decided, that brought them together. A hodge-podge team who you wouldn’t see together on an everyday.
They were made up of a self-taught website hacker, a personal training nut, a frantic commuter, an army dropout, and a single mother of two.
He liked to think of them as the civilian Avengers, except the only thing they had avenged so far was a morning coffee run.
They had all met before; he had asked the hacker for laptop recommendations when he had needed a new one; the gym nut and army drop out had bonded over juice cleansing; the commuter and the mum had met in the ice cream aisle after a shared bad day.
They came together for the first time in the coffee shop, offered nods of acknowledgement, smiles tainted by 8am yawns of ‘what am I doing in civilisation at this hour’, raised eyebrows of agreement.
It was after that that they noticed each other’s presence in their lives; his niece was in the same class as the single mother’s twins; the website hacker’s brother had served alongside the dropout; the commuter and the gym goer worked only two buildings apart.
They didn’t do much; they weren’t the Avengers, much as he wanted them to be; they met for coffee whenever they could, arguing over this and agreeing over that.
Until the day it crashed, with him on it; the smiling high school teacher.
It was the railroad that brought them together, and it was the railroad that tore them apart.
* * *
I liked the idea of a railroad being the kind of catalyst that brings a group of people together, kind of like in the Railway Children, so I wrote it! Sorry about the ending, I just kind of felt it fit, and I couldn't shake myself from writing that last line, so it went in.
Got to take some pictures at some point tomorrow and Friday for posts to work on.
Also, if you haven't noticed the picture to the right, I am now on Bloglovin', which if you haven't heard of it, it's essentially a platform where you can save all the blogs you read, whilst also saving the posts you like into collections!
You can find my account here. Combining the followers I have on blogger, and on Bloglovin', we're up to around 44 followers, and no I'm not going to cross match followers, just let me be happy with my numbers :)
So, yeah, love you <3

4 comments:

  1. EEEEEEEEEEEEVE THIS IS NOT OKAY (though seriously, I actually love this!)
    Lucy <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am I able to say I did tell you to be prepared? I'm sorry!!! (Seriously, thank you!)
      Eve <3

      Delete
  2. This is so AWESOME, OKAY! You should TOTALLY join Wattpad!
    Stay awesome as ever,
    Much love,
    Archie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might, maybe when I've completed all 100
      Stay amazing as always,
      Love,
      Eve <3

      Delete