Monday 3 August 2015

Five Nights at Freddy's Theories

I'll insert a disclaimer right here: I am in no way a gamer, the closest I've gotten to gaming is a DS Lite that's very nearly half my age (it's still going strong, though the left and right buttons don't work)

I'm also not one for scary games; I watched the Woman in Black once, three years ago, but am still scared shitless by it, and am horrified of dark corners due to what may be lurking in them.

However, Five Nights at Freddy's presents a mystery that just has me interested. I've been watching Markiplier play through the series; his reactions just feel genuine, and he sits and talks through his theories at the end of the videos.

Here's Mark's first video, as well as a playlist of all his Five Nights stuff

Also spoiler post has spoilers!

With four games available on Steam, Five Nights still has yet to see a conclusion, with a DLC to be released on Halloween of this year, which will hopefully carry some answers. Primarily, it's an indie game that just provides a good scare to the player, but intermingled into the scares is a story of a cursed franchise, each game presenting both answers and new questions that lead to one big mystery that is so utterly intriguing.

So today, I'm going to discuss my theories, and what I think is going on throughout the four games.

One thing that has been debated and redebated since the release of Five Nights 4 a couple of weeks ago is 'when was it set?'

(*Note* I'm sat watching Five Nights 4 whilst watching this, and the first jump scare just shocked me! I thought I was immune!)

We are misled in one of the 'between night' games by this image on the TV that reads Fredbear & Friends! 1983
However, whilst rewatching Mark playing Five Nights 2, I noticed something in 'Phone Guy's' dialogue in the extension of Night 6 (I found the transcripts *here*)

Night 6: Hello? Hello...uh...what on earth are you doing there, uh didn’t you get the memo, uh, the place is closed down, uh, at least for a while. Someone used one of the suits. We had a spare in the back, a yellow one, someone used it...now none of them are acting right. Listen j-just finish your shift it’s safer than trying to leave in the middle of the night. Uh we have one more event scheduled for tomorrow, a birthday. You’ll be on day shift, wear your uniform, stay close to the animatronics, make sure they don’t hurt anyone okay, uh for now just make it through the night, uh when the place eventually opens again I’ll probably take the night shift myself. Okay, good night and good luck.

While most have a tendency to overlook what the Phone Guy says (guilty!), I'd like to draw your attention to the point in his dialogue that I have highlighted. In Five Nights 4, each night has a precursor of 'x days until the party'. It is due to this tiny sentence from the Phone Guy that makes me believe that both Five Nights 2 and 4 run on the same timeline, or at least those precursor minigames do in relation to Five Nights 2.
Five Nights 2 is set in 1987, as we learn through the cheque awarded to the game's protagonist, Jeremy Fitzgerald at the end of his working week.
With my belief that Five Nights 2 and 4 operating on the same week, the bite that we witness after night 5 of Five Nights 4, truly is the Bite of '87 (or at least, that's what I think)

Onto the second question brought to light with Five Nights 4 of 'was it me?'. This question features in each of the teaser images released prior to the game.


Whilst some speculate that these ask the question of 'which animatronic caused the Bite?', who as we learn is 'Golden Freddy' (or Fredbear), however, could it also point towards the actual causer of the Bite. In the final minigame of night 4, we learn that it was the protagonist's brother who suggested he 'give Fredbear a kiss'; the protagonist's brother was wearing the Foxy head.
As a side note to this, I'm also currently watching The Game Theorists theories, and in the video surrounding Five Nights 2, we listen to the Phone Guy, who asks after Foxy, saying 'he was always my favourite', correlating with a theory I've seen elsewhere (no idea where) that the Phone Guy is the brother we see in Five Nights 4.

Does this also mean, according to MatPat's theory, that Phone Guy is the elusive Purple Guy? No idea!
A lot of my theories, honestly, are based on other theories I've seen/heard. My only true theory I haven't seen elsewhere is the Night 6 birthday mention. I'm going to wait until more FNAF 4 theories are seen, because I am in need of some closure here!

Anybody else hooked by the Five Nights Franchise? Got any theories? I'd love to hear them?

Love, Eve <3

P.S. Normal, none-gamey posts will resume with a Writing Wednesday (yes, I actually completed it!)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you watched Markimoo! I've also come up with similar theories, but I doubt many of them will be answered until the DLC comes out in October. We'll just have to wait and see! Have you been watching any other of Mark's video series'? I love his The Evil Within series, and I have a small fangirl attack every time I see a new episode from the DLCs are out. I'm just waiting for him to start the final DLC of The Executioner.
    Lara x

    ReplyDelete