Monday 23 March 2015

Pen and Key Rants ~ Body Types

After Maya's recent 'Disgusting Topic' video, I decided instead of leaving a long comment, I'd just write my own opinions here.

Maya talked about glorifying curvy body types, a very valid point, especially in recent body positivity movements. However, because I personally have a completely different body type to Maya, I have a different view on this. Although I think everybody should be glorified whatever, I'm going to talk about glorifying skinny people.

I've mentioned before, back in primary, I was on the bigger side of the class size average. All the girls in my class were dance girls, and athletic girls from the age of four or whatever. I myself didn't start playing badminton until I was 8, and because my friends were there, I didn't actually start getting that much exercise from it until a few years ago.

To me, skinny girls were everywhere, and they were the good things. As I mentioned the other week, body negativity never seriously hit me until I was 11 or so, yet I still knew something about it. In primary, they were sure to tell you that magazine pictures are airbrushed, but in a spur of the moment negativity, you can forget that.

Honestly, society's a bitch, and a contagious one at that. If it weren't for the media showing off skinny bodies as the models for everything, we wouldn't be thinking that skinny is best, and we wouldn't be putting those thoughts into our everyday.

Another thing that annoys me is clothes sizing. I personally love shopping at TK Maxx, but it annoys me so much that my size (14, UK sizes) is labelled a large. Because I'm tall and *shock horror* have a bit of fat on my chest, I'm labelled a large.

It also ticks me off that there have to be specific clothing lines for different body types, like plus sizes and petite. It doesn't annoy me that they exist, it annoys me that mainstream clothing brands feel they can't just make a larger range of sizes rather than having specific clothing ranges. What is the actual point?

I don't know about you, but topics like these really get me riled. I'd like to just say, I may not have met you, but through correspondence through my blog, I respect you, and that isn't going to change if I ever meet you, no matter your body.


Your body, big, small, wide, slim, tall or short, it's gorgeous on you, and you make it gorgeous.


6 comments:

  1. Skinny people are so glorified and everyone wants to be them, along with the curves while also being skinny? Which only a few people have. Although, I reckon clothes sizes are pretty accurate because they have to do it somehow, and maybe it's up to the person to know they might just have different healthy proportions, but it is hard.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really convoluted world. Needs to get hard before it gets easier, I suppose.
      Eve <3

      Delete
  2. You are killing it with this whole body confidence thing! (I just realised that sounds really weird, it was meant to be a compliment)
    I loved this blog post and Maya's video, and feel like this topic isn't talked about enough. We talk about loving our size, though we only really focus on one specific size, and tend to care more about whether other people like our bodies rather than us liking our bodies, with frustrates me to no end.

    Keep writing really awesome stuff,
    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really isn't talked about enough, especially from a teen's point of view. It's kind of like 'love your size, but not if you're this size, if you're this size, you need to change that'. It's strange, and annoying, and it's attitudes like yours and mine that are going to change that!
      I'll try, Lucy,
      Eve <3

      Delete
  3. Seriously, thank you for posting this. The size of a person's body and the society's way of 'classifying' it is something that should be seriously thought over. For some reason whatsoever, literally everyone wants to be that person considered frail and graceful or whatever. Truth is, there are others too. So the classification or whatever is completely biased. And that's not very helpful if you ask me. Anyway, thanks. This somehow helped me me change the way I see myself, if that makes any sense at all. So, yeah. Thanks. :)

    ~Mazha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Mazha. Classification and conforming is just such a grating thing for me. Hearing the word conform makes me want to scream. I have absolutely no idea what to say to that. Do I thank you for taking such a cool thing from my blog, or just sit in awe and stare at your sentence. I'm so glad my blog has helped you change your body view for the better. You're welcome :D
      Eve <3

      Delete