Sunday 10 January 2016

The Results

It's results day
Simultaneously, I have been both anticipating and dreading this day since I put my pen down, on I think my first exam (maths non-calc if anybody's interested).
As a way of acclimatising us to the system of exam results day, we gathered  in the main hall, sat in alphabetical order in each form, going up one by one to receive our envelopes.
The envelopes are nondescript, brown, with a sticker that holds only your name and your form class.
Now I think about it, it's almost metaphoric. In the end, in our school life, all that matters is summarised in this envelope; your name, our form class, and your results.
The first result I looked at was Geography. As soon as I saw the exam questions themselves, I knew I was failing, and surprise surprise, I did. A pass in England is a C, and I got a D, though I have no idea as to the grade boundaries, so I couldn't tell you how close I was to that elusive C. To refer back to my exam advice, revise your case studies, as that's definitely what let me down.
The next thing I looked at was my ICT grade, surprisingly. We'd asked our teacher earlier in the week what the range of marks was, and she'd said A* to D, which lead me to be pretty confident in the fact that I'd passed, but by how much? An A* apparently, which I was extremely pleased with, and it kind of makes me wonder why I'm not considering ICT for A-Level, but I'm having enough trouble deciding on subjects for that anyway, so I'll leave it be.
I got a C in History, which I also expected to be around there, as I completely forgot everything for Vietnam, what even was the Tet Offensive, and I ended up babbling about the media and the My Lai massacre, as that was all I remembered.
Somehow, I also ended up with an A in Maths, so happy days, no intervention, but apparently I did shit on one paper, then pulled it back with the other, so I'll see how the hell I managed that when we go over the paper this next week.
The only other C I got was in RE, which I don't particularly care about the mark for, especially due to the bizarre questions on the paper. Around half of an RE exam is about whether you agree with something or disagree, and unfortunately for me and my moral standards, there are some things I don't entirely agree or disagree with, because I am a person who honestly just thinks we should let people do what they want, religion be damned.
After all of that, the rest of my subjects were Bs, which leaves room for improvement in all of them (Biology, Chemistry, English, Physics, and Spanish), and I'm just glad it's over.
At this point, it's an entire 75 school days until the first exam, so around 15 school weeks, and another three weeks of holidays, so 18 weeks from now, I will be sitting my first exam.
With these results, I'll be making sure to revise from now until then, and focus on everything!
Have you gotten your results recently? Share your pain!

No comments:

Post a Comment